Indonesians Believe Each Person Is An Artist. If You Can Follow A Recipe You Can Make A Toy

We Love To Do Guest Posts! Please Contact Us For Details.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Scooter Makeover




Before


Before



After




But the pink could stay. I was not too hip on the shocking color of this item, but hey I got it for nothing on our local Freecycle. If you have not discovered this in your local community it is a moderated yahoo group where you can request or give away items you no longer have a use for.
It keeps stuff out of the landfill and builds community. I have gotten many needed items for our house this way and it cost me nothing.
I took a risk on this item as we had to drive clear to another town and pick it up. I was unsure if it would be worth it in the end. The final result is stunning. I hope the Kaz princess learns to use it and we don't end up having to give it away ourselves too soon. I was inspired by a sun faded Cozy Coupe I saw on another creative mom blog. She spray painted it all black and stenciled colorful flames on the sides-very cool! I have used way too much spray paint this summer for other projects so I decided I had to work with the original paint color. Spray paint is toxic and wasteful so I only use it as a last result.
First I removed all Disney princess stickers and painted over what could not be peeled off. I decided to keep the plastic basket as it is hard to remove and will withstand a tip over unlike a nice wicker one. I did dress it up with a bright sash and some embellishments. Some colorful ribbons on the handle bar and new stickers was all it took to complete the look. I think I spent about two hours on the project and spent maybe two dollars for supplies. Carbon footprint evaluation- I get a gold star for recycling a toy and keeping it out of the dump. Most of the supplies I had on hand so there was no need to be a consumer for this project. I get a lump of coal for having to use gas and drive several miles to get it. Beep Beep and away she goes!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful. I can't count the number of times I've passed up items that were otherwise just what I was looking for because they featured Disney (or other trademarked) characters. Why it never occured to me to paint over the offending material, I'll never know. Thanks for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete